Farrukhabad was founded by Nawab Mohammad Khan Bangash,
who named it after the reigning emperor Farrukhsiyar, in 1714, the district of Farrukhabad
forms part of Kanpur division. The township of Farrukhabad, Fatehgarh consist of two
towns, Farrukhabad & Fatehgarh, the former being the headquarters of the Tehsil & the latter
forming the headquarters of the district, both lying about 5 Kms apart. The district as it
exists now is bounded by Badaun and Shahjahanpur on the north, Hardoi on the east,
Kannauj on the south and district Etah & Mainpuri on the west. Rivers Ganga & Ramganga
are located towards the east & Kali Nadi towards the south.
Fatehgarh derives its name from an old fort. Fatehgarh remained a Military Station of
considerable importance and in 1802 it became the headquarters of the Governor Generals
Agent for the ceded provinces. In 1818 a gun carriage factory was established here.
The Farrukhabad district consist of 3 Tehsils with a total area of
2,28,830 Ha., has 7 Blocks, 603 Gram Panchayats, 1020 Revenue villages, 14 Police
Stations, 2 Nagar Palikas and 4 Nagar Panchayats (Town Area) & 1 Cantt. Board with
total population of 18.85 Lacs approximately.
The name of Tehsils & blocks included in the district are as follows :